News on chemicals and environment

Old labelling is phased out

From 1 June 2017 the old labelling with orange symbols are not to used on chemical products. The transition regulation is replaced by CLP 1272/2008/EC in full.

Read more:—klassificering-och-markning/aldre-markning-upphor-att-galla


Toner and Ink to be labelled

The Swedish National Chemical Inspectorate, KemI, has sent out letters of information concerning toners and ink. The toners and inks have now the following customs tariff codes 3215 90 och 3707 90. This means that according to the Swedish regulation SFS 2008:245 they are now regarded as chemical products. This means that they have to be labelled if they contain any hazardous substance. They also have to be reported by volume to the product register at KemI.


Read more:


From September 2, 2014: new rules for use of explosives precursors by individuals

Precursors are often used as starting materials in the manufacture of explosives and might be used in criminal activity. In order to prevent criminal use of the chemicals, Sweden complimented EU rules and introduced a permit system for explosives. Any private person who wants to buy and use chemical products that contain hydrogen peroxide (at concentration over 12%), nitromethane (at concentrations over 30%) or nitric acid (at concentrations over 3%) must have permission. Application for a license should be performed at the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB).

Those who have already purchased and owns the products, may continue using the latters until March 1 2016.

14 new substances added to CLP from April 1 2015

14 new substances have been added to the Appendix VI of the Regulation EG/1272/2008. This applies to substances classified as carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic to reproduction – categories 1A and 1B (Table 3.1) and category 1 and 2 (Table 3.2) – or as very toxic to aquatic organisms and the potential long-term adverse effects in the aquatic Environment.